Sunday, 29 April 2018

Occupational therapy...

...in the shape of a felted fawn.

My last two weeks have been a slow frustrating process of  recovering from a shoulder op, but judging by this morning's craft therapy, I must be on the mend - I made this little chap, and am so pleased with how he turned out!


I am feeling rather sore now but a small price to pay for getting my mojo back; I just want to add a few more spots later.  It took time (about 3 hours) but was much easier than I expected to get a good result, I just followed this fab tutorial from the wishing shed: she makes kits too at a very reasonable price; go on, give it a go!


PLUS: Many thanks to Hayley at https://www.lemonade-lane.com/ for generously coming up with some off white felt for me when I realised I'd run out!



Sunday, 11 February 2018

Anyone fancy a ...

....cupcake?

I've been so very busy lately that I had nearly forgotten how much fun it is having a day of crafting.    Yesterday morning my elder daughter and I  did some experimenting with "Acrylic Pours" on canvas.  It was not hugely successful but gloriously messy!  Then in the afternoon I got out some "melt and pour" soap base that I bought a while ago and made these little "cupcake"  soaps:  Lime and Coconut are the green ones, and the pink ones are Geranium.  I also made some "Dead Sea Salt & Bergamot" body scrub which smells nice but is incredibly un-photogenic so there is no photo of that!  I can't wait to try them, but in the meantime I am enjoying looking at them and catching the lovely scent... 


With love and hugs to my adorable and ever-encouraging crafting companion. xx

Wednesday, 10 May 2017

Sea glass...

... style beads have the advantage of being of random size and shape and very quick to make.  I made the beads a handful at a time every time I got the lampwork torch out and put this necklace together yesterday.  I am so looking forward to wearing it - I just love the wavey effect and the matte (etched) effect with the varied shades,


Sunday, 16 April 2017

A "welly" card...

... that I have had in my WIP drawer for ages was finally completed tonight, thanks to my daughter. "What caption could I use on this card?" I asked.  Within seconds, she had come back with "Get Welly Soon".  Lol!



For the sentiment I used a photo polymer "Get Well Soon", cut Well and Soon apart, and added a "Y" with black pen.

Wednesday, 29 March 2017

RIP George ...


... you were amazing - thank you for all the joy.



Wednesday, 28 December 2016

If you left it too late to send Christmas cards...

...join the club!

Train strikes, work deadlines, college work, my best girls back from Uni.  A perfect storm of extra-busyness meant somehow I didn't manage to make cards in time to send this Christmas, but I still really want to keep in touch with neighbours and distant friends.  Well - Christmas Miracle - I don't have to go back to work till 3rd January so I decided to make some New Year's Cards instead.

It's a simple design that uses some super-sparkly wallpaper samples I was given and some large number die cutters.  I set up a production line - making a satisfying 23 cards in just a few hours in front of Strictly Come Dancing and Gogglebox; and here they all are...


I didn't have enough rhinestones so I just used a hole punch to make some inexpensive embellishments out of scraps of sparkly paper.

I'd love to see your new year's cards in the comments below!

Sunday, 14 February 2016

A bit more wow with marbling...

About a year ago I blogged on some experiments with shaving foam printing.  This evening I had another chance to explore shaving foam marbling with re-inkers and I have a few more insights to share with you!

1) You can make a swirly background (maybe a second or third print) and then "paint" the ink onto the shaving foam with a fine paint brush or skewer, placing it very specifically rather than just using the dropper.  It seemed to work best with sparing amounts of ink; otherwise it will smudge when you wipe the foam off the print.  I just stirred some deep spirals into some pink blobs and made roses - some of them came out lovely, just had to be a bit selective with my heart punch!

2) I wanted a more detailed liquid effect so I tried a cornflour solution and it worked a treat.  I blended a teaspoon of cornflour in a small mug of boiling water, and poured it into a shallow dish (about 5mm deep). When I started to drop the blobs of ink they spread and looked like coral. Then I spread it in lines back and forth. The smoothness of the cornflour was really effective and I got this using two shades of blue:


The second time I blended the cornflour with cold water and microwaved it.  This made a terrible mess in the microwave, and the first print was rubbish:

But I stirred what was left around and the second print was very pretty if rather gentle.

With the cornflour I felt I needed to rinse it off with gently running water, but the photographic paper I used held the ink colour very well.

3) Finally, you can really bring out the lovely effect of the marbling by carefully cropping the best bits of your prints and mounting them on some cardstock that brings out one of the colours,