Monday, 21 May 2012

Hermann has been living with us...

...for the last 10 days!  No, not a German exchange student, but last week, a mysterious starter mixture for a "German Friendship Cake" arrived at our house.  It sort of ferments for days, and you add milk, sugar and flour a couple of times, then on day 10 you divide the mixture into four, pass on three to your friends, add the final ingredients to your part and bake it.  I cooked it this morning and it smells FAB, and looks yummy, I can't wait to try it:
Now, does anyone know how to make the starter culture from scratch?

3 comments:

  1. I was given one of these too and I must say it was delicious! I've no idea how to start one though. Thank you for your comment on my blog. The house is called Long Marston Manor and It's for sale if you're interested - just the couple of million LOL! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take it, thanks...In my dreams.

      The cake was indeed lovely and I ended up getting some mix back this week, so I made another one with ginger and apple and it's also yummy (the topping is irresistable). I googled how to start it off in the end, and you just mix a half a packet of dry yeast with a cup of flour and 1 1/4 cups of water then leave undisturbed for 24 - 36 hours.

      Thanks for commenting Vicky
      Helen x

      Delete
  2. You've answered a question we were discussing recently after Herman had another stay at our house. Our friends really don't want any more but it would be nice to make him from scratch!! Thanks for the info!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Please feel free to link to your own related projects, Helen x.