Friday, 23 November 2012

Sunday morning quilts...

...is the title of a quilt book I saw recently.  It's based on the fact that lots and lots of quilters have lots and lots of  leftovers - bits and strips that they don't know what to do with.  The quilt on the front of the book enchanted me:


...so I set to chopping up all my pink fabrics: bits of left over binding, old shirts, tail ends of jelly rolls etc.  Jen-down-the-road kindly let me plunder her scrap basket (I think I noticed the odd moment of regret but she was kind enough to let them go anyway).  Then I trimmed them into strips of any width and a set of lengths (4", 5", 7" and 8" were my chosen lengths) and sewed up the strips into long columns that I trimmed and sewed together.  How easy!  I had green as my "highlight" colour, so I bought lime green gingham binding and some pink ticking for the backing from the Quilt Room in Dorking but recycled the wadding from an old duvet.

Up till then I was pretty pleased with myself, but then I attempted free motion quilting for the first time. Hmmm.  Quite a lot of repair work was required after that, and new needles.  And bad language was used, Reader.  Alot.

But all's well that ends well and here's my finished effort, complete with puckers!  It's quite a small quilt which makes it nice and light and ideal for just grabbing when there's a draught, but its charm for me lies in the fact that nearly every scrap has some sort of personal meaning: either a gift, a "find", part of another quilt, or a piece of clothing my children wore.  I'd really recommend this idea to a beginner as it's hard to go wrong with the piecing and doesn't take too long.  It's not crooked by the way, it's just the camera angle!


How do you use your scraps?  Do comment!

PS: Great quilter tip:  Avoid having seams in the exact middle of your quilt if you can, lengthways or widthways, because this is where you fold it, and folds put the stitching under extra pressure. Of course, why didn't I ever think of that?

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!! What a beautiful quilt!!!!! I love that all the pieces came from your stash or from down the street :) Next time I'll have to send you some pieces from across the pond ;) What an amazing job you did with your free-motion quilting!!!! One of these days I need to learn how to quilt! And I know just the person who might be able to teach me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweeeet you are! You are going to have to come over and stay for a week at this rate.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Please feel free to link to your own related projects, Helen x.