Friday, 26 July 2013

What a treat...

...I took a class today, just for once, instead of running one!  I went for a one to one lesson in silversmithing with a lovely lady called Aileen Hamilton.  And I got so much more than I bargained for! My request was for her to teach me how to use silver solder, and how to make silver head pins with my sterling silver wire.  Well, in only two hours, not only did I learn these things, but I made a sterling silver ring textured with real lace in a roller:


Added bonus, Aileen very obligingly mended my daughter's Claddagh ring which is now even better than new!  I loved my lesson and will definitely be going back because I am going to bring the gold rings that I inherited from my grandmas to melt down and make something new for my girls.  Aileen works from a mind-bogglingly well equipped studio at the bottom of her garden in Redhill, and is an inspiring and very skilled teacher - do visit her website!

And I'm very pleased to announce that Aileen is going to join me at my Open Studio on August 31st, where she will be demonstrating some of her beautiful jewellery-making techniques.  I hope to see you there too!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful treat for yourself Helen!!!! I can't believe you made that gorgeous ring in your first lesson!!!! Well, maybe I can actually believe it - you are so talented!!!!!! Looks like you found a wonderful teacher! Sorry I won't be in the UK in August to join in the fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Please feel free to link to your own related projects, Helen x.