Thursday, 16 October 2014

Sweet little night light screens...

...using the lovely new StampinUp polymer stamp set Holiday Home.

Boy have I been having fun! It all started with some screens posted by the charming Paula Knall that used the "Lovely as a Tree" stamp set.  I thought they were great, but I don't have that stamp set (I know, what am I thinking?) and I wondered how it would look with a little row of houses, and if the Father Christmas stamp was silhouetted against the moon.  Once I'd started I couldn't stop, and I was piercing holes in the black backing for stars, spattering with shimmer paint, adding snow with white gel pen, embossing lamp posts etc.  After a few attempts, I am very pleased with the outcome!  You need to use battery operated tea lights (not real flame) and I realised after taking this pic that really I need two little lights stacked on top of each other in order to light up both the "moon and stars" and the houses, so I made a vellum stand to raise the second candle.


If you're interested to know how to make this, or to buy the StampinUp products needed to make it, please do get in touch via the comments, or my email!

1 comment:

  1. The basic supplies were ordinary tracing paper (like vellum), some dark navy cardstock, the "Holiday home" stamp set from Stampin up", and a white gel pen, 2 BATTERY tea lights, stazon ink, versamark and embossing powder.

    I stamped a strip of the vellum with the houses using Staz on ink, coloured in the houses with brown felt tip pen leaving the windows white, and the doors in bright
    colors, and drew the snow in with
    the white gel pen. When it was dry (important), I stamped the lampposts with versamark and sprinkled on silver embossing powder and melted with a heat gun.
    I cut 2 strips of navy cardstock the same length as the vellum so that they covered the "ground" and "sky" parts of the scene; the upper card needs to reach to the
    bottom of the roofs of the houses. I punched a circle about 1.5 cm diameter in the "sky" card to make the moon and poked lots of holes in the "sky" card to be stars.
    Then I lined up the circle with the vellum and stamped the little santa sleigh over where the hole in the card would be. I flicked the card with some white ink to make it
    look like it was snowing, but it went a bit blobby. When it was dry I carefully curled the card a bit by dragging it over the edge of my table. Then I stuck the
    two card strips onto the vellum with sticky strip, and then stuck the whole thing together into a tube.

    I needed to make 2 tealights into a stack more or less on top of each other otherwise the moon doesn't glow enough, so I made a little tube of vellum to fit and stuck
    one of the tealights to the top of the tube with washi tape. Then I just turned on the tealight in the tube and popped the tube on top of the other tealight.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Please feel free to link to your own related projects, Helen x.