Wednesday, 31 December 2014

Today I learned...

... about a concept in graphic design that I'd never heard of in quite some years of extensive blog hopping: Trapped White Space.  Now, please forgive me if you already know about this (I know some of my readers have degrees in graphic design, so special apols to them!).  This concept clarified a lot about what works and what doesn't in page and card layouts for me, so I thought I'd share it with you.

Basically, "Trapped White Space" is where your design creates a dead-end patch of plain space between the design elements, that stops the flow of the eye and creates a meaningless focal point. Here's an example from Joey at thedailydigi.com



(By the way I'm not picking on her, she highlights this as the problem herself)

I have trawled the internet for a technical explanation, and the best I've found with relevance to card/scrapbook design is by the inspiring Susan Raihala here, which was where I found out about it in the first place!  Here's the essence of it:

Trapped white space illustrated (it sort of blocks the eye)

... fixed (opens out delightfully)!

In case you are not familiar with her "Simplicity" blog, Susan is a big fan of white space and often shows really useful before and afters like this, which is so generous of her.  Why not check it out?

It would be great if you could share any posts or other examples below...

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's try this again with correct punctuation....

    Thanks for the call-out, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's little things like this that make a HUGE difference! Thanks for posting Helen! Vicky xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Please feel free to link to your own related projects, Helen x.